Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chris

National

Summary - In Dallas, Texas, a tow truck driver took a car parked in a fire lane without realizing a child was in it. After the driver stopped to check and make sure the car was properly hooked up, he then found the boy asleep in the car. The driver Fidel Retana Jr. quickly returned the child to the parents and drove off before the police arrived. Retana was arrested later on for charges of child endangerment but they expect to drop the charges soon. "It appeared that he did not intend to take the child," said police.

Opinion - I guess the incident was all just an accident so the driver shouldn't really be charged. He should be more attentive though with his job. He should've noticed a child was in the car in the first place so none of this would have happened. He obviously didn't mean to do it but should have at least stuck around for the police. I could understand he probably saw the parents as being very angry after all of this and didn't want to stick around to deal with them but he still should have waited until everything was sorted out.

International

Summary - A Romanian man had been keeping a lion in his back garden until neighbors couldn't take it any longer. After being annoyed by the many roars of the lion, the neighbors finally called police. When the police showed up, they found a caged 3-year-old lioness, as well as two peacocks, a stag and two deer roaming the garden of this 28-year-old man. He is being charged with illegal possession of wild animals and may be sent to jail for up to a year. The 3-year-old lioness that was in the man's possession will be taken to Bucharest zoo.

Opinion - Why would he have all these animals in his back yard basically? It doesn't sound very safe to me. I know I wouldn't want something that could eat me living in my back yard. It doesn't sound too comforting for some reason.. Call me crazy but I think you should leave the man-eating animals in the zoo.. I think the man should be charged with something because he could have endangered the lives of the people living around him but I don't he should be given jail time. That just seems too harsh.

No comments: