Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rachel Posey (8/21/04) I gave you a hard copy Wed morning

Rachel Posey AP Gov. Pd. 7

National

Summary:

Tuesday, August 21, the families of the Utah miners, who have been trapped underground for more than two weeks, share their resentment and thoughts on the safety of the Utah mine. The co-owner of the mine, Bob Murray was approached and verbally abused by a friend of a victim on Tuesday. Murray was blamed for the death of miners because he was cautious in the rescue mission. Although many mine authorities are being confronted, the Mine Safety and Health Administration is receiving most of the blame for the mine collapse. The reason being that MSHA has been known for its hastiness in consenting building plans for mines. An investigation is sure to come.

Opinion:

I can understand that the victims’ families are going through a horrible time; of waiting yet probably knowing their loved ones are no longer alive. I would probably be angry and try to blame someone for my pain as well. Although I might want to blame someone, it does not mean that’s the right thing to do. The right thing to do is to give your anger and grief to God. Then start trying to live your life again while remembering the good memories.
I believe MSHA should reevaluate its actions and consider giving compensation to the families that have lost loved ones. Although money cannot make up for the loss these people have gone through, it would help them get back to a normal life. I think MSHA should also provide these people satisfaction by agreeing to not be hasty in approving mines in the future.


International

Summary:

An 8.0 magnitude earthquake shook the ground in Peru on Wednesday, August 15, with after waves continuing until Friday, August 17. Many cities were destroyed as well as around 400 people reported dead. There are still cities that have received no help and are left to fend for themselves for the time being. The damage was horrific and brought the Peruvian President, Alan Garcia, to announce Peru in a state of emergency. He also ensured the people of Peru that aid is the governments first priority.

Opinion:

I am sad to hear that some cities have not gotten any emergency help since the earthquake last Wednesday. I think that Peru should work harder to achieve the help they need. Peru should request aid from its alliances in order to quickly help the people of Peru.
I understand that there is a lot that is involved in a crisis and I admit I do not know the details of what must be done in order to perform certain requests. That is why I am taking AP Government so that I may learn more about how our government works and hopefully learn how other countries govern their nations.

No comments: