Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Kellye Harkey

National:
Parents and school officials are preparing to battle tonight in a debate about the sexual health of children at one Maine school district. Administrators at a Portland middle school are considering a bold proposal that would allow students to access a broader range of contraceptives from the school's health center.King Middle School's health center already provides condoms as part of its reproductive health program, implemented after five of the 135 students who visited the center last year reported being sexually active. Prescriptions for birth control pills and patches would be included in the new measure, which has become a lightning rod for controversy in the area.
"We do certainly sit down and speak with them about why that's not a good choice," said Portland's school nurse coordinator Amanda Rowe of sexually active students. "But there are some who persist, even though we don't like to think about that in being sexually active, and they need to be protected." The school's female students are in grades six to eight and range from ages 11 to 13. "It will provide a means of making sure you don't get pregnant and ruin your school career and limit yourself in the future," Rowe said.

Opinion:
This is ridiculous to me! First off they shouldnt even be having sex! When I was 11 I dont think I even knew what sex was. Its the parents job not the schools to make sure that the kids are being smart about it. But then again Im sure they parents dont even know their kids are having sex. If I was a parent I would like to know if my kid was getting a condom or getting some birth control. I hate to say this but it was only 5 kids that came foreward, I mean those 5 lives matter but they shouldnt be going to such great and uncalled for lengths over these kids. These kids are not mature enough to be having sex, heck highschoolers arent even mature enough to be having sex! I just think this idea will make them think its ok and that the condoms and the birthcontrol is the answer.

National:
A doggie drama that pits talk show host Ellen DeGeneres against an animal shelter is heating up as the shelter owner says she's received death threats and is afraid for her safety. The controversy began when DeGeneres adopted a pup named Iggy from Pasadena, Calif.,-based Mutts and Moms animal shelter. But when the dog could not get along with DeGeneres' cats, she gave the dog to her hairdresser's 11- and 12-year-old daughters. But the shelter stepped in and took the dog back, saying DeGeneres had signed an agreement that if she cold not keep the dog she would give it back to the shelter. In addition, the shelter says it has a policy of not giving puppies to families with children younger than 14. DeGeneres, who is known for her rambunctious and spirited greetings at the beginning of her talk show, stunned her audience Tuesday when she broke down on air, sobbing as she begged the animal shelter to return the dog to her hairdresser."I feel totally responsible for it and I'm so sorry," she said on air. "I'm begging them to give that dog back to that family. I just want the family to have their dog. It's not their fault. It's my fault. I shouldn't have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls."

Opinion:
I actully think this is kind of funny. I really like Ellen but I mean come on! Its just a dog! there is no need for crying and sobbing on the air, do it in your dressing room, wipe your tears and give people the show they came for. She did sign something saying that she wouldnt give the dog to anyone else if she couldnt keep it. But then again I can see it as what is the big deal? I mean Im sure the little girls would love having a dog, but then I go back and think well if they do this for Ellen then the dog place would have to do it for everybody.

1 comment:

Michael Hjort said...

I agree. These school officials should be asked if they would train these children on gun safety. I would guess they would say NO!!!

I think Ellen is being stupid concerning this dog story.