Thursday, February 7, 2008

Miss Burns

National

Romney Drops Presidential Bid, Cedes Floor to McCain at CPAC

Summary: Mitt Romney suspended his presidential campaign Thursday, telling a stunned conservative group that continuing his uphill battle against John McCain would hurt the Republican Party and make it more likely that the Democratic candidate would win the general election in November. In doing so, Romney moved McCain closer to the GOP nomination than he’s ever been, opening the door for the Arizona senator to make an emboldened pitch to the same conservative crowd Thursday afternoon that he needs their support more than ever to defeat the Democrats. Romney and McCain were both addressing the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington. “If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention … I’d forestall the launch of a national campaign and, frankly, I’d be making it easier for Sen. Clinton or Obama to win,” Romney said. “Frankly, in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.”

Opinion: Well I think it was a wise decision for Mitt to drop out of the race. While he was not my favorite candidate, I felt that he would have been a better choice than the more liberal candidates. My favorite part about the above article was that Mitt Romney said, “ I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.” He actually calls the democratic candidates a terror, how wonderful.

1 comment:

Michael Hjort said...

I agree with Mitt's decision.